21 Jan RECIPE ALERT: Pete's Pastries
Ever wonder how to make Napoleons? Check out Chef Peter Bessent’s pastry cream recipe that is used to create these tasty treats!
Pastry Cream Recipe:
4oz granulated sugar
- Dissolve cornstarch in an eight of the total amount of milk.
- Combine the remaining milk with the sugar in a rondeau or saucepan; bring to a boil. Whisk whole eggs, then yolks into cornstarch mixture.
- Pour a third of the boiling milk into the egg mixture, whisking. Return the remaining milk mixture to a boil.
- Whisk the eggs mixture into the boiling milk, whisking until the pastry cream thickens and returns to a boil. Boil- whisking constantly- for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and beat in the butter and vanilla. Pour the cream into stainless steel pan. Press plastic wrap directly on the surface. Chill immediately.
Puff Pastry directions:
- Roll puff pastry dough out and put holes throughout the dough.
- Bake off at 325 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and add pastry cream. Add another layer of puff pastry and pastry cream.
- Double boil chocolate chunks and sprinkle on top of napoleon.